The Gamma Knife technology was developed in 1967 by Swedish neurosurgeon, Lars Leksell and has ever since treated over 850,000 cases. Leksell Gamma Knife® Icon™ is the 6th generation of this technology, giving hope to patients with inoperable or complicated brain conditions.
Sharper than a knife but it’s NOT a knife.
During treatment,192 beams of radiation are precisely directed to the brain lesion, damaging the cancer cells and sparing the surrounding tissues. The result is remarkable (as shown below), where the tumour gradually stops growing and in many instances, disappears over time. So far we are the only centre in Southeast Asia which can perform frameless gamma knife radiosurgery. This means the patients do not need to wear head frame with four screws to hold the frame in place during the treatment which could be uncomfortable to them Common conditions where Gamma Knife treatment would be considered are:
- Malignant tumors: damaging the cancer cells and preventing them from multiplying while, causing the tumour to shrink and eventually die
- Benign tumors (meningioma, acoustic neuromas and pituitary tumors): attacking the tumor’s cells, causing the tumor to shrink over time
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs): destroying the abnormal tangles of arteries and veins, causing the blood vessels to close ou over time
- Trigeminal neuralgia: killing the nerves so that they can longer send false pain signals
The Gamma Knife Experience – treatment steps
- Consultation with a neurosurgeon or a clinical oncologist.
- Defining the target – Patients will have a CT and MRI for treatment planning. The images will help the doctor to define the area to be treated.
- Stabilization – A thermoplastic mask is placed over the face or a head frame is attached to the head. This prevents movement during treatment and allows the doctor to accurately locate and treat targets.
- Treatment planning – Once MRI/CT images that pinpoint the exact location to be treated, the Gamma Knife team develops a customized treatment plan using a highly specialized planning system. Every treatment plan is uniquely created.
- Gamma Knife Icon treatment – During treatment, the patients will lie on the treatment table, covered by a warm blanket; patients often listen to music or fall asleep while having treatment. Treatment can last a few minutes or more than an hour, depending on the number of targets, as well as the size and shape of each target.
- Post Treatment – The thermoplastic mask or head frame is removed. Typically patients are allowed to go home on the same day or sometimes are advised to stay over night. The patients will be monitored from time to time by the physician to check on the recovery progress. In a nutshell, Leksell Gamma Knife® Icon™ is a gold standard treatment for brain tumour and functional disorders.
For the convenience of their international patients in Indonesia, SunMed has Representative Offices located in major cities in Indonesia; Jakarta, Surabaya, Bandung, Medan, Palembang, Padang, PekanBaru, Makassar and Semarang.
|Jakarta||Jl. Adiaksa No. 31 RT.7/RW.7 Pondok Labu. Cilandak|
Jakarta Selatan 12440
|Surabaya||Jln. Ir Soekarno Hatta 56-56 Surabaya 60115||03199011103|
|Bandung||Paskal Hyper Square B-28 Jl. Pasir Kaliki 25 -27, Bandung Jawa Barat, 40181||02286061075|
|Padang||Jln HOS Cokroaminoto No. 101, Padang 22118||+628136348858|
|Palembang||Jl. Residen H.A. Rozak No.43A RT.02 RW.01 Kel. Bukit Bangkal Ket. Kalidoniemail@example.com|
|Semarang||Jl Indraprasta No. 2A Semarang 50131 Jawa Tengah, Indonesiafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Makassar||Jl Sungai Saddang, Latanette Plaza F no.8-9, Makassar 90114, Indonesia||+624113623252|
|Medan||Jl Ahmad Yani, No.106, Medan, Sumatera, Indonesia.||+email@example.com|