If you have decided to pursue higher education abroad, be prepared for the fact that you will have to write quite a lot of different essays. Writing papers in a foreign language causes difficulties for many students, and they often order ready-made essays rather than learn to write them themselves. Stop googling, “write my essay for cheap.” With our simple guide, you’ll learn how to handle this assignment faster and get a higher grade.
What is an essay?
An essay is a short composition where you express your opinion on a given topic. Writing a quality essay in English requires a high level of language proficiency, a rich vocabulary, and the ability to express your thoughts clearly and concisely.
A formal narrative style is one of the features of an English essay. The style of presenting thoughts in an essay is taken seriously here; that’s why it’s not recommended to use abbreviations and allow any frivolity in the text at all.
Teachers expect students to show step-by-step progress, improving their skills. This makes the situation even more difficult. A survey of students showed that there are several ways to make the learning process easier and start writing better papers without wasting a lot of time. Here are some of them.
Expand your vocabulary
It may sound rather trite, but having a wide vocabulary does make a big difference. Examples of famous authors such as James Joyce and William Faulkner, who built complex sentence structures and deliberately used words with multiple meanings, are proof of this. The first and most obvious advice is to read a lot and look up definitions of words, the meanings of which you don’t understand in dictionaries. You can also learn new words as you write your papers. Many text editors allow you to find synonyms and replace the written initial word with them. The main thing here is not to get too carried away, as there is a risk of turning the text into a pile of abstruse expressions while not facilitating the understanding of the message.
Needless to say, it is impossible to learn to ride a bicycle without riding one? The same goes for writing essays. You should write as much as you can, and it will help you overcome your fear, learn how to express your thoughts faster, and learn the structures of an essay. If you don’t have inspiration or don’t know what to write about, read other students’ essays. Besides, there are special sources with topics for every day.
Don’t let mistakes ruin everything
You can work for hours on a perfect essay, selecting words and phrases accurately, but one misused or misspelled word can ruin everything. Grammatical and syntactical errors are very noticeable to an experienced teacher. If a certain number of them pile up in the text, it will be a distinct signal that you are not serious about the assignment. This situation can be prevented by using text editors. There are paid and free, depending on the number of features and ease of use. Choose what suits you best, and don’t let a misplaced comma lower your overall score.
Share your experiences and ask for advice
Sometimes, it’s hard to notice the shortcomings of your work on your own. Ask a friend or someone close to you to read your essay and give some advice on how it can be improved. You can even consult your teacher to sign up for a literature club.
How to shorten the process of writing an essay?
- Be sure to focus on the process; don’t get distracted by neighbors, wandering thoughts, worries, etc. You can come back to them later. Right now, you have to be as attentive and focused as possible.
- Be sure to make a plan, even not in English but in your native language. It is much easier to write when you have guidelines. You can come up with examples to the arguments as you write.
- It is better to think in English while you are writing (you can do it by practice). This will help you to immediately compose phrases in English, not to deal with translation.
- Writing an introduction will cause a brain freeze for some people. Start writing from the second paragraph, but strictly according to the plan. Having written everything else, the introduction is easier to produce.
- Always follow the structure of a given essay. Thus, if we have an opinion essay, you should present your opinion already in the introduction and put the arguments in favor of it in the main body.
- Stick to a structure of four paragraphs and up to 350-500 words. After all, the extra volume requires more time, including checking.
- Avoid poorly learned words and structures. It will take you longer to remember how to spell or use them correctly.