RENAISSANCE Hotels Invites Travelers To Discover This Way Campaign Debuting On 8Th Annual Global Day Of Discovery
From the Sidewalk Stoops of Harlem to the Neon Night Market of Bangkok, Renaissance Hotels Lead Guests to Unexpected Discoveries
On the heels of its reimagined global design strategy, Renaissance Hotels, part of Marriott International, today announced its continued brand evolution with a new “Discover This Way” marketing campaign that reinforces the brand’s promise of delivering the unexpected. To celebrate, Renaissance Hotels will help guests uncover the soul of neighborhoods around the world with exclusive experiences and perks from the brand’s This Way partners on the 8th annual Global Day of Discovery taking place Thursday, May 16. The brand will also begin to introduce a new visual identity for the first time in nearly eight years, which will reflect what Renaissance Hotels offers today: a sense of clever theatricality and an open invitation to experience something a little unexpected during guests’ travels.
This year’s annual Global Day of Discovery celebration, which takes place at 160 hotels in more than 35 countries, spotlights the Renaissance Hotel Navigator, who – counter to a typical concierge – knows how to show guests how to discover destinations like a local by handpicking discoveries that cannot be found in a guidebook.
“We have been on a mission to continue to evolve what Renaissance Hotels offers today, and this year’s Global Day of Discovery and new “Discover This Way” campaign officially marks a new era for the brand,” said George Fleck, Vice President of Global Brand Marketing & Management, Renaissance Hotels. “Today’s travelers want to feel like they’ve experienced the DNA of the neighborhood in the destination they are visiting and make the most of their trip. With help from our This Way neighborhood partners, we are committed to giving travelers something a little bit unexpected every step along their journey.”
From the Hallways of Renaissance Paris Vendome to the Streets of Bangkok, Renaissance Hotels Takes Cues from the Neighborhood for New Marketing Campaign
Developed and produced by creative agency Venables Bell + Partners collaboratively with the Renaissance Hotels’ marketing team and based on consumer insights, the brand’s new “Discover This Way” campaign was inspired by the idea that every trip can be a tale. From the brand’s surprising approach to design to its original take on cocktails and its team of local Navigators, Renaissance Hotels will help its global travelers make the most of every stay.
Directed by Jojo Zunke and tuned to Judith Hill’s yet-to-be released single “Upside,” which will premiere in this campaign, the :60 hero film centers on a hotel guest as he follows a bespoke path plotted by the Navigator using footprints, taking him on a spontaneous journey through Renaissance’s neighborhoods around the world. The guest moves rhythmically as he follows the sequence of footsteps – inspired by guided steps in a local dance class – discovering the neighborhood through playful, unexpected twists and turns.
Led by the hero film that will premiere during Global Day of Discovery, shorter executions that showcase each of the brand’s pillars of evenings, theatrical design and neighborhood will roll out across a variety of platforms around the globe.
Navigators Uncover Local Haunts for Guests on Global Day of Discovery, with Experiences That Go Beyond the Convention of Travel
Beginning on Global Day of Discovery and continuing regularly thereafter, Renaissance Hotels across the globe will collaborate with a diverse group of local businesses and notable personalities who embody the soul of the neighborhood to serve as This Way partners. Each This Way partner will help give travelers a glimpse into Renaissance Hotels’ storied neighborhoods, highlighting the style, eats and beats of the destinations. Upon check-in, guests will be given a Navigator map leading travelers to hidden gems, along with a token for travelers to present to these local establishments in order to access exclusive perks.
To punctuate the new “Discover This Way” campaign and 8th annual Global Day of Discovery, Renaissance Hotels shined a light on New York City, where the brand is set to expand its footprint with openings in Chelsea in Fall 2019, as well as Flushing and Harlem in 2020. Renaissance New York Chelsea South Hotel, a new build on the former Antiques Garage Flea Market site, will give a wink-and-nod to the neighboring floral district, while Renaissance Flushing LaGuardia Airport will be the brand’s first hotel in Queens and will underscore the brand’s commitment to re-imagining the staid airport hotel experience. Renaissance Harlem Hotel will restore and playfully reimagine the Loew’s Victoria Theater, which was at the center of the vibrant “Harlem Renaissance” era in the 1920s and 1930s when art began to flourish in northern Manhattan. Some of Renaissance Hotels’ most passionate future neighbors in Harlem will help give travelers a glimpse into this iconic neighborhood, highlighting its underground style, eats and beats. Additional global discoveries will include:
- Guests from all six Renaissance hotels in Paris followed footsteps that led to a secret room within a neighborhood cafe, revealing an interactive local art gallery where nothing is as it seems. Travelers sipped champagne punch as they were surprised with unexpected moments that ignited all the senses throughout the evening.
- One of Thailand’s most notable archeologists helped guests of Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel to explore street art in Chalerm La Park, Lakshmi Shrine at Gaysorn Village, neon night markets and other local discoveries. Upon returning to the hotel, guests were welcomed by a Thai Night Festival featuring the destination’s arts and culture scene, complete with an exclusive performance by Thai celebrity actor, model and DJ Push Puttichai.
- Travelers visiting Renaissance Downtown Hotel, Dubai crossed the canal to the city’s budding arts district in the industrial area of Al Quoz. As guests arrived at Alserkal Avenue, they followed footsteps imprinted on mounds of spices that led to a variety of cultural experiences showcasing the district’s distinct blend of global cultures.
- Renaissance Sao Paulo Hotel guests ventured out to uncover the colors, soul and intriguing stories of Conjunto Nacional, a symbolic building located on Paulista Avenue. Unexpected art, dance and musical experiences popped up during stops at Livraria Cultura, a beautifully designed bookstore by architect Fernando Brandao in 1969, and CINEARTE, the locale’s indie movie theatre that showcases hard-to-find Brazilian and Latin productions, to name a few.
- Over in Kuala Lumpur, guests at the Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel will find themselves in an immersive experience of the local culture curated through a series of activities, designed to ignite the senses. In collaboration with Jadi Batek, a neighborhood gem that preserves the traditional art of batik, the hotel will host an event featuring locally inspired Food and Beverage, traditional music and a pop-up by Jadi Batek store, where guests can try their hands at making their very own batik or buy merchandise and bring home a piece of local Malaysian culture and heritage.
- Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel guests will celebrate the neighborhood by exploring the “Night Market” to experience indigenous street food such as apam balik, jack fruits, fancy bun, fried giant squid and otak-otak. The footsteps end at “Jurassic Café” where the guests will be thrilled with unexpected moments by discovering exotic species like albino snake and gecko while sipping Nitro Tea, a concoction of traditional Chinese tea infused with nitrogen gas.
- Renaissance Bali Uluwatu Resort & Spa will mark this year’s celebration with an evening dedicated to supporting and fostering local talent, fashion and food. The evening starts off with a fashion show showcasing local products such as handmade lace from Uluwatu Lace and handmade shoes from Niluh Djelantik. Guests will then be invited to experience the Navigators Chef’ Table dinner at a specially created rooftop pop-up venue with a herb garden setting. Guests will be blessed by a Balinese priest before joining the dinner and entertained by Gus Teja; a flute maestro from Ubud Bali and a Kecak Dance performance; a traditional dance from the neighborhood in Uluwatu.
To further elevate the brand and local experiences Global Day of Discovery will continue at Roosterfish Beach Club on June 22, 2019. Located at the beautiful Pandawa Beach, the activation will bring a unique event to the neighborhood while inspiring guests and locals alike to discover hidden gems through a collaboration with local and international “A list” musicians. The night will conclude with a spectacular fireworks display and light show overlooking the ocean and cliffs of Uluwatu.
Global ‘Renaissance’ Continues with a New Visual Identity That Spotlights Moments of Discovery Around Every Neighborhood Street Corner
On the heels of Renaissance Hotels’ continued global design evolution, the brand is furthering its ongoing renaissance by introducing a fresh new visual identity for the first time in nearly eight years. Inspired by the new “Discover This Way” campaign and on-property experiences, the new visual identity – which will include a refreshed color palette, photography and font type – will begin to roll out in-room and through all of the brand’s digital channels, starting in June.
Renaissance Hotels’ marketing and design teams developed the neighborhood-inspired color palette of muted and rich colors, from grayish pavement to deepest midnight to downtown cargo. The palette captures the brand’s signature mix of high and low, raw and polished elements – all of which make up a modern neighborhood.
To learn more about Renaissance Hotels please visit www.renhotels.com. For the full lineup of performances and events planned on Global Day of Discovery and throughout the year at Renaissance Hotels, please visit www.renhotels.com/events. Join the conversation at #RenHotels and #DiscoverThisWay.